My love for Corrie star saved me from the grips of depression, says David Walliams

Katy Carmichael
First love: David Walliams said his university girlfriend Katy Carmichael rescued him from dark thoughts
He may be the picture of comedy success, with an enviable stack of Bafta and Emmy awards.
But David Walliams has sensationally confessed he has a  pathological fear of loneliness and credited his love for Coronation Street star Katy Carmichael with saving him from the grips of depression.

In a revealing interview for today's Desert Island Discs, he says his relationship with the actress, who he fell for while they studied at Bristol University, gave him a new-found confidence.
He said: 'We were in love for about four years. That really brought me out of myself. I had never gone out all night, I had never stayed up till dawn. She brought all of that out of me.'
He added: 'She saved me from misery, she breathed life into me. It was a really, really magical time.'
Walliams, who said he is often ridden by self-doubt and loathing, claimed that his creativity has been a tool that helps keep the dark thoughts at bay.
The comedian and actor said he would choose a gun as his luxury item on an island in case the loneliness became too much.
'I can't stand being on my own,' he revealed. 'I hate it. I have a pathological fear of being on my own.
'When I am with my own thoughts I start to unravel myself and to think really dark thoughts, self-destructive thoughts.
David Walliams and Lauren Budd
Fear of being alone: David Walliams enjoys a night out with model girlfriend Lauren Budd
But David, who created the hit comedy Little Britain with Matt Lucas, says he finds ways to manage.

'I have learned to make plans,' he said. 'I have to see people and do things because I don't want to get myself in that state.

'I can keep it at bay by being creative.'
He said he battled depression as a child and would find solace by shutting himself away in the bathroom where he rehearsed comedy routines.
The comedian, whose sexuality has been the focus of speculation since he played a series of female characters in Little Britain, denied he is gay.
He admits he is 'camp' and 'effeminate' but insists that he prefers 'intoxicating' women.

He said: 'Sometimes I think it'd be simpler if I was [gay] because everyone thinks I am. I'm quite camp.
'But, no, I don't think I am. If I was gay, I'd get on with it.
'But, definitely, I love women, I find them intoxicating, and I've never had that feeling with a man.'
He also reveals school friends nicknamed him 'Daphne' because he is 'naturally effeminate and drawn to lots of feminine things'.

Walliams has been linked to scores of women over the past five years, including model Lauren Budd, 18.
The pair are believed to have gone on holiday to Miami and Barbados earlier this year.
David Walliams with model Lauren Budd
Laydee's man: Walliams with model Lauren Budd last month